Thursday, October 25, 2012

Your Eyes... Use Them

It's so weird!  And I've talked to other friends with girl babies, and they see similar things... people just automatically assume their pink-ruffled, be-jeweled baby is a boy.  What's with this?  Do we have some sort of infant gender-bias?  Do we have social research on this??  GRADUATE STUDENTS, I'M LOOKING AT YOU.  Dissertations.  Go. 

I am working on opening up my Etsy shop with an exciting new project, which is one reason I haven't been able to post here as much as I'd like.  More news will be coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. It's not just me, then! Oh, man, they don't stop either. I've had a three year old with a dress on, long curls, and bows and still been asked about "him."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it happens in reverse to baby boys, too. Mine would be all bedecked in blue, wearing some onesie stating he was "Mommy's Little Man" or some such, and STILL I'd get asked how old "she" was.

    I completed no research but nevertheless concluded that people see all babies as whatever gender they're more familiar with. Kind of like I instinctually refer to all dogs as "she" because our dog is female. So there you go--human psychology according to Meghan Chandler. Who took a grand total of three psych classes in her life.

    ReplyDelete