Sunday, July 24, 2011

Etsy Love: Handmade Toys

For those who haven't discovered the extreme joys of Etsy, here's a first taste.  Etsy is sort of like Ebay in that anyone can be a buyer or seller, except that all wares must be either handmade or vintage.  I generally don't get into the vintage stuff, but being an artist, I love that other craftspeople have a profitable place to sell their unique creations.  I haven't yet made a purchase I regret from Etsy; often packages arrive with a little extra something from the seller, like a few extra sheaves of handmade paper or an extra hand-rolled marshmallow or two.  I turned to Etsy for a lot of our wedding purchases, like our guestbook and groomsmen gifts.

And now: BABY STUFF!

There are so many beautiful and unusual toys that sellers have made.  I've picked out three of my favorites to share with you.

First: Hobbes Plush Doll by amiamour

I grew up with Calvin and Hobbes.  I have all the comic books and reread them frequently (like... this morning).  I love the idea of me our baby having its very own Hobbes.  Seller amiamour has gotten the look exactly right; this Hobbes looks exactly like he does in the comics.

Next up: Pogos by pogoshop
WANT.  For the baby. 
Pogos are a unique upcycled creation of a local South Carolina seller (more reason to love them).  She uses old wool sweaters and bamboo fiberfill to make each little pogo, and she even creates a backstory and personality for each one.  Pictured here is Elliot, who is going to catch water bugs with his friend Ollie.

An added cherry on this sweet cupcake of a plushie is that as a local artisan, she can create custom school sweaters.
Go Tigers!

Lastly, Roley Poley Dinosaurs by ArksandAnimals
RAAAAAARRR
By now you know I love dinosaurs.  I also love classic, non-flashy, imagination-required toys.  Hopefully our kid will too.  I know I would love sitting on the ground and pushing these around, creating paths and ramps and things for them to roll on.  This seller also had featured these fantastic push-and-pull T-Rexes that opened their mouths and wiggled their arms as they rolled, but it looks like they've sold out for right now.  Just as fantastic?
The pull-string, wings-twirling, body-wiggling DRAGON.
Hope you've enjoyed this non-comic post.  Remember to shop at Etsy whenever you need a unique, heartfelt, handcrafted gift!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my Hobbes! He is pretty popular as a baby shower present especially for those named Calvin ^^

    ReplyDelete